Black Owned Brands We Love
*The guide below highlight some black owned businesses we know and love. Click on the item in the collage below that you want to shop, or scroll down to read more about each.
I wanted to do a special post during Black History Month to highlight some black owned businesses we love. I am constantly researching and trying out new brands, so if you know of some amazing brands that are not included in the round up above to the local list below, please let me know! There are so many black owned businesses and I love discovering new ones to try, so please send them my way!
- Briogeo: If you haven’t heard of this haircare line before, get ready to spend some money! Nancy Twine is the founder of this brand. They are known for their clean hair products; free of sulfates, parabens, silicones, and artificial dyes. The products are also gluten free and mostly vegan too! One of their most popular products is the ‘Don’t Despair, Repair’ Deep Conditioning Mask. They have a wide range of products for every hair type and all of these products smell so good. I just ordered their scalp treatment and I can’t wait to use it.
- Beauty Bakerie: How cute is this brand name? Cashmere Nicole is the founder of this brand and her mission for this brand is to be sweet and sweeten the lives of others. They have all the beauty products you can think of and these products are also cruelty, paraben and gluten free. Beauty Bakerie’s bestseller is their ‘proof is in the pudding’ eyeshadow pallet which is made up of neutral tones. Also, their translucent baking powder is popular. All of their products are top notch but the packaging of these items is darling! You need to check out this brand and you can find some goodies for yourself.
- Fenty Beauty & Skin: Rhianna’s talent in this world is just not singing and coming out with great music! She does it all and has an amazing beauty and skincare product line. Her products can be found at Sephora. She wanted to create this brand with the intention and purpose of creating beauty products for everyone of all shades, personalities, attitudes, cultures and races. She wanted everyone to feel included and I love that about this brand. She just recently came out with the skincare line and I want to try that soon! I know a lot of people swear by her lip products and her highlight products in her beauty line.
- Pat McGrath Labs: Created by makeup artist Pat McGrath this brand has amazing beauty products along with brush’s for application. The most popular product item from Pat McGrath Labs is their beautiful eyeshadow pallets. You can purchase something with more neutral tones but there also are some brighter color options if you wanted to get more creative with your makeup!
- Juvia’s Place: Found at Ulta, this brand has the most vibrant and highly pigmented colors. Chichi Eburu is the female black entrepreneur of this brand and was inspired from African-American tradition and culture. The great thing about this brand is that it is affordable but you would think you were using a high-end product because these products are just so good!
- Mented: This brand can be found at Target or Ulta! The founders, KJ Miller and Amanda E Johnson came up with this brand after discussing how they couldn’t find their perfect nude lipstick. The idea behind this brand is that every woman should be able to find herself in the world of beauty no matter what the skin tone. They offer more than just lip products, including blushes and eyeshadow palettes! You’ll be sure to find your most perfect shade in all of the above.
- Good American: Founders Khloe Kardashian and Emma Grede created this apparel brand with the intentions of including all woman no matter the shape or size. As seen on Vogue, Bazaar and Forbes this brand is super well known and has amazing clothing. They are most known for their wide variety of jeans but they also have tops, dresses, coats, activewear and shoes!
- Uoma Beauty: This brand is found at Ulta as well and was founded by Nigerian born, LA and London based former beauty executive Sharon Chuter. The name ‘Uoma’ means beautiful and that is the whole purpose of this brand. Sharon wants every woman to feel beauty and it starts the moment you decide to just be you! This brand carries products for your eyes, lips, face, and brows. Also, these products are affordable so you won’t be spending too much money!
- Golde: This brand has been around since 2017 and started in Brooklyn by Trinity Mouzon Wofford & Issey. Golde started with one single product, the Original Turmeric Latte Blend and now has other wellness products. The mission of this brand is to make wellness something super easy and accessible for all- making it fun too! Self care means feeling your best and that starts with what you put into your body! Their superfood products are 100% natural and vegan-friendly with ingredients you can actually pronounce. It’s super easy put some of these superfoods into your smoothies or use their skincare products as well.
- Shani Darden: Expert esthetician, Shani Darden is the founder of this skincare brand. She became a leading dermatologist and eventually went out on her own to create her own products. Her best seller is her Retinol Reform serum. There is also a cleansing serum which won Women’s Health Beauty Award in 2019! You can find this brand at Sephora.
- GOODEE: Founded by twin brothers, Byron and Dexter Peart, GOODEE is all about sustainable and modern living pieces. I first found this brand on Nordstrom! They did collaborations with some other well known brands, which I have linked below. This brand is all about empowering creators and consumers to live a more sustainable life while still making it a good design.
- KNC Beauty: Known for lip and eye masks, Kristen Noel Crawley is the founder of this brand. She wanted to create lip masks that would be perfect to moisturize the lips but wanted to make it natural! These masks are all-natural and collagen infused. These are perfect for the dry winter months and even in the summertime when you need a refresh from the sun!
- Cushnie: This is an American fashion house founded in 2008 by Carly Cushnie and Michelle Ochs after graduating from Parsons School of Design. All of their pieces they have are clean and modern. Very neutral tones throughout the entire collection and they also offer tailored pieces best known for an impeccable fit.
- The Lip Bar: This is a vegan and cruelty free beauty line. Melissa Butler is the founder of this brand and started it actually in her kitchen! She ended up going on Shark Tank and got rejected. Now, this brand is in Target stores and she just opened her first FlagShip store in the heart of downtown Detroit! This brand offers more than just lip products but face products as well. All of their products are easy to use and made for all.
Want to shop local? Here are some black owned businesses I love in and around Denver!
Eat & Drink:
- McBride Sisters Wine Collection
- Smith + Canyon
- Bar Helix
- Novel Strand
- Coffee at the Point
- Rising Sun Distillery
- Winston Hill BBQ
- Be a Good Person
- Hope for Flowers by Tracy Reese
- Lorraine West Jewelry
- Yellow Door Collective
- Lawrence + Larimer
- False Ego
- The Wrap Life
Health, Beauty & Fitness:
- The Barre Code
- Up Gym
- Glo & Lash
- Limn Skincare & Boutique
- Urban Sanctuary
- Herbal Honey
- Clay Love
If you have any other black owned businesses that you cannot get enough of please list them in a comment below!!
SUBSCRIBE now to never miss a post like this.