Hey guys! I got some pretty great feedback on my ‘How to Create an Overlay on PicMonkey’ post, so I decided to continue on with a great collage tutorial. I am using a different platform this time, called Canva, so that you can experience both and decide which one you like using more! As a beginner, these collages were super important to me! It is a great way to highlight sale items, design a media kit, or just to create a mood board for your website. Here are some step by step instructions on how to make a collage on Canva. Make sure to follow along with me and create your own at the same time!
- Make sure all of your photos are in a place that is easy to access. Before I make a collage, I usually compile my photos into one folder on my desktop.
- Make sure all of your photos have the same background. You don’t want pictures that have cream or gray backgrounds mixed in with photos with white backgrounds (it just doesn’t look good). If the item you want doesn’t have a white background, search for it on Polyvore, Shopstyle, Pinterest, or just use Link Ninja from Reward Style. The pictures that pop up should have a white background!
- Head to Canva and sign up. It’s free!
- Now it is time to pick what size you want for your design. I always pick Poster, but they have different sizes that can fit your different needs. In this tutorial, I will be using Poster, so I will click on that.
- There are tons of layouts you can choose from, but for the purpose of this tutorial, I am choosing to keep it white, so don’t pick a layout OR a background.
- Now you want to upload all of your photos. Just click on UPLOAD on the left side and start picking your images. Click ‘upload your own images’ and upload all of the ones you want. You can hold down Ctrl or Command while you click each photo and then upload them all at once!
- Now you will just drag each photo and drop them into the position you want. Use the arrows on the outer side of each photo to position it into the size you want.
- Now, do you see how my earrings are hidden? I can either reposition them higher, or I can start bringing different images to the front OR back. Play around with this feature to see what I mean!
- Now, you are ready to add some text! Click on the text tab on the left column. There are sooo many to choose from, the options are endless! You can choose from one of the top three and then choose whichever font you want, or you can choose from one of the options below them. I choose one of the options they made here, and then went in and changed what it actually said and the color of the font! Just click the drop down to change your font, or the big round color option (hit + to see more colors).
- Make sure once you have your font to move around your pictures to line up!
- Now, this is why I love using Canva for collages: you should still be in the Text tab. Now click the search box and search for the number 1. How fun is that? Pick whatever number format you like, and drag and drop next to your items! You of course, can always just use the Text option as well! I am going to use a photo and change the colors to match my photo. Having a hard time moving the number? Just click completely off it it (into the gray area) and then try to drag it again! Also, pay attention to the dimensions when you are re-sizing the number. You want to make sure you try to get them to all be the same size!
- And you are done with your design! Make sure you download it onto your computer! Another great thing about Canva is that it keeps all the photos you have done, so you can come back and use this photo again. You can even come back and edit this photo again if you want to switch something up!
- Oops. You made a poster-sized picture, how in the WORLD do we get it to fit as a squared image?? Most of us, like myself, need a squared image for my home page in order for everything to fit in my featured slider at the top. Easy breezy. You have that picture saved, right? Now head back to the home screen by clicking on Canva at the top left. Click the ‘SOCIAL MEDIA’ design or whatever design you need. Then head to upload and just upload the photo you just created! I now have a square!
There are TONSS more amazing things you can do with your collage on Canva. Just start exploring! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Thank you so much for letting me know you enjoy all of my tips! I will definitely keep posting them! What would you like to learn about next? Leave a comment below with your requests!