I cannot believe we are here! Six months! I want to cry just thinking about it.
I think you always want your baby to grow up to see them do new and exciting things, but once they do you wish you could go back to the newborn stage.
A few things have changed since her Five Month Update.
6 Month Update
Lately With Miller
-She has doubled in size! Her appt isn’t until the 23rd, but I cannot wait to see how much she weighs and how many inches she has grown! I bet she is still >99% in height for sure! I will update you, and this post, after her appt!
-She is sitting up unassisted. The first time she sat up and stayed up unassisted was at 6 months 1 day. She still can’t stay up for long. If she leans over left or right she usually goes toppling. She also still thinks she has back support so she will lean back often.
-She has rolled over a few times and we have missed it every time! We just hear commotion and walk over and she is on her belly! I am sure it will happen a lot more now that we are back home. She didn’t have much room in her pack n play at the resort and we didn’t leave her on her back for long while we were in Mexico.
-She still HATES tummy time. She will go longer but still has a long way to go in upper body strength. We have been slacking doing it so we are going 3x a day now. We still think she will walk before she crawls. She loves to stand up (assisted).
-She is definitely teething but I cannot feel or see any teeth yet!
-She found a few consonants like mmmmma or bbbbbba or ggggga. I don’t think I have heard a D yet, but Troy probably will say he has haha!
-She has to CONSTANTLY be entertained. She always has to have a toy to play with or suck on. She wants us to be right next to her or holding her at all times.
-She knows now when you leave the room and will NOT have it.
-She throws a fit when you take a toy away.
-She also throws a fit when you change her.
-Lately she discovered her tongue so it is basically out all the time now.
-She is still a thumb sucker and will not take a paci.
-She had her first diaper rash between 5-6 months and seems to get them every so often now when she poops.
-She still has the same schedule as always, so we will need to work on dropping a nap now. Wish us luck! Should be easier now that we will be starting her on formula and solids.
Lately With Mommy
Miller doesn’t seem to ever be full. She is growing soooo fast and I just can’t keep up. I also don’t think I am giving her enough fat in the milk I do give her. I have decided to stop breastfeeding as of today. She is already used to taking a bottle so I don’t have to ween her off the boob, I just have to let my milk slowly dry up. I will do a blog post once it is done to let you guys know what I did and how it went!
We have a big supply of milk we are still going to give her. We will start mixing the milk and formula at first for awhile to get her stomach used to it. I will let you know what formula we decide on!
Solids start this month and I am going to mix puree with finger foods. She still has a bit of a tongue thrust so I am just going to take our time with it until she is comfortable.
I feel so extremely guilty to be done breastfeeding. I have gone back and forth with myself now for a month. Troy and I discussed it for a long time in Mexico and weighed the pros and cons. In the end, it is better for our family for me to stop. Every family is different and I hope you guys can respect my decision!
Oh and between last month and this month my left nipple has been killing me ONLY when she feeds. It is a sharp pain. Do you guys know what this is? Do I need to see a dr? It only hurts when she is nursing.
I have gained a lot of weight. At first the breastfeeding knocks all of the baby weight off, then you slowly gain it back, then I worked out hard and was really fit and lean, and then I let myself go and it piled on hard and fast because I am still nursing and always ravenous! No idea what will happen once I stop. My sister said she gained so much weight when she stopped but others have said they lost it. All I know is that I need to start working out again and get healthy again. I don’t feel fat by any means but I could get some muscle tone for sure.
Products We Swear By at This Age:
1 & 2. These work hand in hand. When your baby gets a bad diaper rash use the Lotrimin (recommended by our pediatrician) and then put the Mustela cream on top! Goes away so fast! If the rash is still there in three days call your dr. They will prescribe Nystatin.
3. Still use the Owlet every time we put Miller down for the night. It ran out of batteries at 2am from traveling yesterday and I barely slept the rest of the night! People ask about the false alarms. We haven’t had one but I would much rather have a false alarm than no alarm at all.
4. We use this to keep her drool rash at bay. When it gets really bad we mix a little cortisone with it.
5. Honest diapers ALWAYS. We just love them!
6. Our favorite bows are from Cru & Co. It is an Etsy shop! Her big headband-like bows are from Baby Bling.
7. Magnetic Me Modal footies are the absolute BEST AND EASIEST! So hard to find. When they release new colors you have to buy them asap before sizes run out. HERE are some new ones on Amazon. Only the first 4 prints are the modal/spandex so only choose between those 4. The rest are cotton and not near as good. The modal footies stretch with your baby so they can wear them for a reallllly long time!
8. Still our favorite sleep sack. The ones from Marks & Spencer are just so extremely soft, wash well, last forever, and are the perfect thickness. Plus they have really cute prints!
9. She has to constantly wear drool bibs now! These are our favorite.
10. She is LOVING these cups! I thought there was no way she would be interested but she pulls them apart and chews on them all day! They are amazing and only like $4! They are apparently great for learning too!
11 & 12. We keep these in the freezer and they really help her when she seems to be hurting! She can grasp them easily and the remote is so cute. She always tries to grab our actual remote so I knew she would love it!
13. Still her favorite carrier and we have tried a few! Also comes in black and grey.
14. This is still helping her get through tummy time!
15. Still keep this play mat on rotation. The elephant that plays music is a godsend. We bring it everywhere with us. Once she can sit up completely unassisted we will put the balls in there for her to grab.
16. She is just now loving her activity center! I recommend putting your baby in there with just their diaper or with footies that have a lot of grip at the bottom. She gets frustrated when it is hard for her to plant her feet. Oh and I found it on major sale!
17. Still loving this chair for eating and for playtime!
18. For some reason she LOVES the Doona. We bring it to restaurants now because she prefers sitting in it over her stroller. I just wish it was lighter or we would have taken it with us to Mexico. The Uppababy carseat is super light so we brought that instead.
19.Love this travel stroller. It is sooooo light! We picked it because we live in Texas and frequently travel to the beach. We needed the mesh backing. We use it for walks now as well just to keep her cool. Other travel strollers that you can put in the overhead bin are great too, but they don’t have this mesh backing. The black is finally back in stock!!!
Please let me know if you have any questions!!