The question I probably get the most about blogging is “How did you grow your Instagram that fast”? How to grow your Instagram account has probably been searched on Google millions of times. I am no expert, but I can definitely share how I got 18k followers in 6 months. I also have this amazing shirtdress for you from LOFT and I get to show you how you can wear it TONS of different ways! Two for the price of one on this blog post today!
Welcome! If you haven’t seen this blog before I like to cover a little bit of fashion and a little bit of blogging tips! I do this a couple times a week! Does anyone else feel like these pictures are very Mary Tyler Moore? The sun was going down and our camera was SUPER blurry :/. Taking pictures in the city has its perks and downfalls, but that’s for a different post! This is blogging tip #2, How To Grow Your Instagram. Make sure you pin the images below so that you can easily come back to them!
Now, I am by no means a pro at Instagram. Getting to 18.5k followers was A LOT of work. Here is what I did, and hopefully you can get there too!
1. From the Beginning: Pull your resources! When I started at 0 no one would take me seriously. I called on all my closest friends (maybe even some that I am not super close to) and my family and I asked them to share my Instagram handle on their social media accounts. For weeks my friends and family would say “make sure you follow Amanda Miller’s new blog on Instagram”. I know it is hard to ask for help from those you know, but it works wonders. This is how I gained around 3,000 followers within the first month. From there, people took me seriously for giveaways.
2. Loop Giveaways: This is super tricky, because at the point I am in now, I will never do another loop giveaway, but at the beginning I think it is super important. How loop giveaways work: You have a host and everyone pays the host a set fee, usually around $20. Then you have a prize and everyone on Instagram has to follow each blogger to get the prize. You are basically gaining all of the followers of the other bloggers in the giveaway group. This is how I gained around another 8k followers on Instagram. Why was it important at the beginning? Brands started to see my following and starting asking for collaborations. This means free gifts and even MORE social media traction! I will discuss when I started charging for collaborations in a later post. To squash rumors, yes these giveaways are ALL REAL, yes we pay REAL MONEY, and yes, SOMEONE ALWAYS WINS! The host actually has to email us the receipt and confirmation of shipping and now we require the winner to post the prize and tag the host! I do not do giveaways anymore because I am concentrating more on organic traffic and more engagement. With loops you gain a following, but it isn’t an active one and you are likely going to loose half of the ones you gain within a month after the giveaway. PR firms are started to look at actual engagement on your photos, and not the number of your followers, due to these loop giveaways.
3. Engagement: This is the hardest part because it takes something money can’t buy, and that is TIME. It takes A LOT OF TIME. You also have to be willing to follow a bunch of people. Some bloggers think it looks horrible if you are following more than 1,000 people and I think that is silly. I feel like when you are following more people then people are more likely to follow you. It shows you are more personable and they also hope you will follow them back! I would sit there and follow hundreds of blogs at a time and like tons of photos AND comment on tons of posts all in hopes they would like my page and follow me. This typically got me around a 25% return rate, which was FINE FOR ME! Little did I know, Instagram actually only lets you like around 20 people at one time. Any more than that and Instagram picks it up as spam and it doesn’t work. So now I set time in my day to follow at least 100 people a day in hopes that they, in turn, follow me back. You can download InsTrack in the App Store to find out who isn’t following you back and you can just unfollow them right there in the app! It is pretty cool!
4. Features: Reward Style has been one of the biggest factors in my Instagram growth. When RS gives you a feature you are GOLD. I gain hundreds or even 1,000 followers each time. How to get featured: Most of my features have been due to a sale. When there is a big sale going on make sure you grab whatever you have from that store and wear it! Not on Reward Style? Ask that the collaborators you are working with feature you on their Instagram account, and most importantly, that they tag you in the caption, not the photo! This should gain you tons of followers and it really adds up! You should especially be asking for this if you are doing these collaborations for free. Also, make sure when you are posting clothes that you ALWAYS TAG the designer or store you got them from. This is super important and something you should be doing every.single.time. They are more likely to feature you this way and all of their followers will see that you tagged them as well.
5. Hashtags: You should be posting around 10 hashtags every time you post a picture. I know this seems excessive, but it really works. There are definitely popular hashtags you can use and you can find them here. This helps you get recognized globally since most people look up different things using hashtags.
Follow these steps and you are sure to grow your Instagram following as fast as I did!
Apps to Download:
1. Instrack (free)- I covered a little of this above
2. Iconosquare (free)- tells you when the best times of the day to post (lets you know when your users are most active)
Get the Shirtdress for 40% off: LOFT – Order one size down
The Other Items In The Post: